Friday, June 19, 2009

Pet Pig... Sort of......



Dear Mom and Dad,

I am sorry that it has taken so long to email you again. I had the longest single amount of time on the outer islands of my mission so far. Three straight weeks. It was hard. Weno helps to keep us sane. So I have been receiving all of the packages you have been sending. Thank you so much for everything. I just received one today.

Since yesterday was my p-day I was able to write to you about my last week already. I will be mailing that out either later today or tomorrow. I am glad to hear that you got the Book of Mormon and the picture card. I was worried because in one of dad's letters he mentioned something that hinted towards you not getting it yet. I was worried.

So life is continuing on here. Things are pretty much the same. I told you all about the work and some fun stuff that has been going on here in the letter.

I am sorry to hear that Pearl has run away from home. I know how she is loved by the family despite some of her personality issues. I do hope that she is ok. If she does not return though we can all take solace in the fact that she had a good life. She was taken care of very well with us and she lived quite a long time with us.

Please tell Eric congratulations on his graduation for me. That is an exciting time and I know he has some great things ahead. If I remember right grandma and grandpa told me that he is going to be putting in his mission papers soon. Let me know all about that. I have been in contact a little bit with Reilly and he has told me about the situation with his mission. I am excited for him to get that going. I can't wait to hear where everyone will be going on their missions.
So to answer your question about the culture here:The Chuukese do keep pets but it is much different than what we consider pets. They raise pigs from very small to be food. There are dogs and cats but the people don't take care of them. They just have ownership really. Some people eat the dogs too. I would like to try that soon. Bati (the branch president) said that I may get the chance to soon. Chickens are raised by just about everyone on the island but only for fighting. Cock fighting isn't illegal here so it is big some places. They usually don't use razors so they don't ever die. If you have any more questions on the culture here go ahead and ask. I'll do my best to answer but I really haven't been here to long so I might not know everything.Well I hope that everything is going well back home for everyone.

I am looking forward to hearing from you all again. I will be coming in to Weno next week for zone p-day. We are in this week for zone conference. I will email you again then.Thank you so much for everything you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment