Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Time of Change


I found the above picture on the mission president's blog. This is a picture of the landing strip in Pohnpei.

March 16, 2010
Dear Mom and Dad,
Long time no hear huh? I am at the Duncan's house right now and get the chance to send off a quick email. I don't think I can cover all that has happened in the last little while. I have written a few letters that should get to you soon that will explain things better. To sum it up though, I have been staying on Weno for the last little while. It has been about a week and a half now. There have been four of us there. We were with Elder Cherrington there. That's not the big news though. My address will be changing. We got a call last night for transfers and I got put in a place I never saw myself going. I'll be flying out to Pohnpei on Friday morning. I can't even begin to tell you the confusion and the questions that are going through my head. I imagined I would just go to Guam and then come back to Chuuk at a later point. I think my fate is sealed though and I will spend my last 8 transfers in Pohnpei. It is a hard thing for me to deal with. I don't have enough time to say goodbye to the people I have grown to love here. I don't have enough time to do anything I want. I was starting to get good at Chuukese too and I was learning a lot more but now I will have to go switch over and learn Pohnpeian. It won't be bad though. I think I will pick it up alright since Chuukese and Pohnpeian are similar. My new companion is Elder Parker. He originally was on Pohnpei then went to Guam and served as a zone leader there. He he has been back on Pohnpei for one transfer now. He has about 4 transfers left in his mission. My area is called Kitti (pronounced Kichi). I don't know much about it. All I can tell you about Pohnpei now is that living conditions will be way different and life will be much different. I think I will actually have a house that I will stay in. The area is really big. There are a lot of Chuukese people on Pohnpei but there are none in my area. I am so sad that I will lose my Chuukese language. There isn't much I can do at this point though.
So that is the big news for the week. My address changed to:
P.O. Box 2203
Kolonia, Pohnpei, 96941
FSM
I hope there isn't any mail coming for me on the way that I will miss but the zone leaders will be able to forward anything to me. All in all life is good and I'm putting my trust that the Lord wants me in Pohnpei now. I wasn't expecting it and I don't know if I have heard of any elders making that sort of switch before but who am I to question the Lord? I'll probably be able to email you once a week from now on so that will be nice. I'll try to let you know more details as soon as I can.
Thank you so much for everything that you do for me. Take care.
Love Always,
Elder Kevin South

No comments:

Post a Comment