Monday, November 15, 2010

I Love to work with the People

Snail mail sent November 8, 2010

Dear Mom and Dad,
We are coming back from Guam today and I won't have much time to send you an e-mail. When we get back to Pohnpei today the AP's and 5 elders from Chuuk will be there. We are all going to do an activity to build unity. We are going to play football! It is going to be a lot of fun.
So I guess I am 21 years old now. I feel so old... hahaha! Just kidding! I still feel like some punk 18 year old. I'll be a teenager for life! Guam was a lot of fun. We went bowling together and I got the high score out of everybody. I got 104 the first game and a 140 the second game. I only had one strike the whole time which was rough, but during the 2nd game I was the king of spares. It was a blast there with everyone. I set a goal to get a least 120 and I dominated that. My next goal will be 150. Bowling was our activity Saturday night after we got in. On Sunday we went to church at the Barrigada Branch. It was a good experience. I joined the Chuukese class which was a lot of fun. When church was done we went to the mission office and started our council. It was soo long. We started around 1PM and ended at 10:30PM. There was a lot of really good stuff talked about that when implemented right will help the mission a lot. Our mission is super young right now so it needs a lot of help. 60% of our missionaries have only been out since June of this year. 7 more go home this transfer and 10 more are coming in.
This week on Pohnpei we are going to have leadership training. That's why all the extra missionaries are with us. It is only a one day thing that will happen on Tuesday. On Wednesday we are going to have zone conference. We are going to give a short training during it. I am also looking forward to my interview with President Dowdle. Elder Colemere said that he will probably talk about transfers. I have been in Palikir for 4 transfers so I am thinking I may be moved. I have been with Elder Brandenburg for three transfers so something will probably change.
Work in Palikar was rough again this week. We didn't have time for much because of all the other things we had to do. We had a scare with one of the new misssionaries. He felt sick and went to the hospital and they diagnosed him with mumps. The mission puts people with mumps on a strict quarantine with two weeks without going out of the house. we were trying to coordinate how we would be able to work with the investigators in Kitti. It was a lot of stress and planning. The morning we left for Guam we got a call from the missionary asking if he could get a second opinion because all his symptoms had disappeared. The doctors did not really understand it because all his symptoms just sort of went away. I believe it was the answer to a lot of prayers and a priesthood blessing. He is okay now and not on quarantine. That is a huge relief to everyone on the island. Because of that and other things we did not get much work done. I want to end my mission being able to do lots of work with the people. Outer island Chuuk was the best!
So I am sending a camera chip with this letter. It has a lot of videos and stuff. The Pingalese Stick Dance from the open house of the new chapel is super cool. I have another chip with pictures on it that I will send soon. Probably in a couple of weeks. I'll let you now a week in advance so you will be expecting it.
I hope you are both doing well still. Thanks for everything you do for me.
Love Always,
Elder Kevin South
PS I got the other birthday box you sent! Thanks for all the cookies and the awesome ties! YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!

No comments:

Post a Comment