Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Terrifying Boat Trip to Weno

Dear Mom and Dad,
Hi! Everything is going great here. I am glad to hear that things are well with you. That sound like a fun trip that you will take to Half Moon Bay. I definitely miss golfing right now. It will be fun to golf with dad again in two years.

So I am on Weno right now for transfers. We all come in to do shopping and other stuff. I lost both of my companions and I get Elder Wood. He is a good guy and we will get along well. I don't know much about him but I will soon. It is going to be really strange only having one companion on Tonoas with me. I'll get used to it soon.

So don't worry about the Easter package. I have gotten four packages from you that have been amazing. Thank you so much for all the stuff you sent me. I also got grandma and grandpa's package. I sent them a letter earlier this week. I sent a letter out today to you that has some of the stuff that has been going on here lately.

So Easter didn't feel at all like Easter. They celebrate it here but not like we do. They don't have candy and have no idea what a rabbit even is so don't worry about sending eggs next year. They only celebrate it as a Catholic holiday (even the LDS members. Weird huh?).

I have some exciting news. I had my first baptism the other day. It was an awesome experience. I did it in Chuukese and in the ocean. I elaborated more in the letter so you will hear more about it then.

About me staying on Chuuk... I think I will be spending most of my time on Chuuk for my mission. It sounds like I will go to an English speaking zone around my year mark and then will return. That's how President Dowdle does it at least. He won't be my President the whole time like I thought. They only serve for two years here. It is too stressful with the traveling and extra responsibilities with District Presidents and stuff. I guess I will find out how it goes when the time comes.

We had an experience while coming to Weno that made my testimony stronger. We were literally in the hardest rain I have ever seen in my life in raging water. The waves were big and we could not travel fast. It was extremely cold because of the rain and we were all soaked. There was not a dry inch on any of us. To make it worse, it was raining so hard that it blanketed our sight beyond about 50 yards. We did not have any landmarks to gauge our position on. It was scary. The five elders in the boat got on our knees and joined together in prayer. The rain seemed to lighten and we soon found ourselves within sight of the shores of Weno. We were grateful to arrive safely.

So how is all the family doing? I haven't heard from Tori in a long time. Is Kolby better now? I would have more to tell you about but I put it in the letter. You will get it soon. Take care.
Elder Kevin South

No comments:

Post a Comment