Friday, April 3, 2009

E-mail from Kevin

We received the following e-mail from Kevin this week.

Dear Mom and Dad,

I apologize that I will only be able to write one email to you both today but I do not have the amount of time that I would normally have. We are on Weno today because Elder Matuauto is having problems with his hearing. It is nothing serious or contagious at all so do not worry. It is great to hear from you both again though. All is well here. Things have not changed much since the last time I wrote you.

Unfortunately our work is not going as well as it was before. We had two investigators who were supposed to get baptised this Saturday but we had to move their baptisms to a later date. The problem is that we cannot get them to church. They both live on the mountain about a mile away from the church and it is a significant hike for them to take. We have been trying to find a way to help them more. We proposed to President that we take a small boat to a dock near their houses and take them to church that way but we were told it is not possible. It is sad to have to look around for investigators at sacrament meeting and to not see the two who are so close to baptism. Hopefully they will get the initiative to go to church. For now, all we can do is continue to meet with them and pray that they will make the sacrifices necessary.

To answer some of your questions:
Some of our laundry is done by the branch president's wife. She lives next door to us. We give her food for everything she does for us. She is a very nice lady and helps us out a lot. We do some of the laundry ourselves. We wash it in a bucket and hang it to dry outside our house. I must say, I miss mom doing all my laundry for me and I miss having a washing machine.
I do not sleep on the floor anymore. Elder Matuauto was kind enough to switch me positions. Actually, he wanted to floor because it is closer to the fan. I didn't like the floor either because of the insects. I can't say that waking up to cockroaches running all over me is a pleasant experience. Don't worry about the insects though. It is nothing bad. They are unavoidable here.
We do all our cooking on a small propane stove. We don't have a microwave or oven. There wouldn't be enough electricity to run those. We get all our electricity from solar energy. There is a panel outside our house. On cloudy days we don't get enough energy and sometimes have to go without a fan during the night.

Well, I hope that everything is going well back home. I miss you both greatly. Thank you for all the love and support. I love you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment