Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Small Mountain Called Pwisin Malek (Chicken Poop)

This picture is the picture that Kevin mentions in the following post. This picture shows how Kevin "showered" for two months on Rommonum and on Mwan where he stayed for two weeks before he was transfered to Pohnpei.

May 3, 2010
Dear Mom and Dad,
Next week I will get a call from you! I thought that I would be calling you to set that up like I have done in the past but I guess I will actually just be setting that up now with this email. Elder Sandvik has the phone at 5 so you can call at 6 and all will be good. Call on Sunday for you. That will be my Monday around noon. That will work out really well. I'm really looking forward to talking to you.
Before I get the chance to talk to you Dad's birthday will happen! Happy Birthday DAD! I hope it all goes great.
This last week has been really good. Elder Sandvik came on Friday and it has been good with him. It is different from when I was with Elder Parker. Both have been good though. The work is going really well and our branch President and his family hit a super stud mode. They are helping us out a lot and are getting their families involved. We started teaching some of their cousins and President Conrad has come with us to a few lessons. He is a big help to us. We have some investigators that are doing really well and are going to make a lot of good progress. If we can get the Conrad family to keep helping us it will be great. I'll let you know how it all goes in the call next week.
I got the package mom sent with the Pohnpeian books this week. Thank you so much for all of that. The books are super helpful and the food is all really good too. I love the picture card as well. There are some awesome videos on there. Jaxson and Kolby look great.
Today we climbed up a small mountain before we came to Kolonia called pwisin malek or "chicken poop." It was really fun and we got some cool pictures. There were 6 of us that went. Speaking of pictures, the picture you two were debating on is me pouring water on myself for a shower. That was taken one morning while I was staying in Mwan. I did that for about 2 months total of my time on Romannum and the few weeks I was in Mwan.
I had a couple questions for you. How is Elder Mitton doing?
You had a few questions too:
The language is still coming along well. I teach a little but not 50/50 yet. It will be a while before I am fluent in it. Elder Sandvik is from Oregon. He went to BYU for a while before he came out on the mission. He served on Pohnpei for a while before he went to Guam to be assistant. He remembers the language well. He is making the transition back to teaching in Pohnpeian pretty good.
No new foods yet. I'll let you know when I get some though.
The church has 7 branches and 1 unit here on Pohnpei.
There are a decent amount of cars here but not a ton.
It still rains a lot but not as much as when I first got here. It comes and goes.
Tell Roland I am praying for him and keep me updated on him.
Tell Grandpa Duane I am praying for him and that I'm going to try to write them a letter soon.
Ok well that is everything this week. I hope you are both doing great. Thank you so much for everything you do. Take care.
Love Always,
Elder Kevin South

No comments:

Post a Comment